Sustainable transport solutions
As traffic volumes increase, federal and state governments cannot build new infrastructure quickly enough to cope with demand. Road networks must now carry out major infrastructure upgrades to ensure that drivers continue to have a safe, fast and more reliable journey.
Visionstream works with public and private sector operators to provide innovative and sustainable transport solutions. We deliver end-to-end Intelligent Transport Solutions (ITS) from design and construction to operation and maintenance.
Optimising networks for the future
As a result of the rapid growth, sophistication and effectiveness of VicRoads’ ITS network, an upgrade of the supporting Local Area Network (LAN) was required to ensure optimum performance of the ITS to manage road infrastructure throughout Melbourne.
VicRoads selected Visionstream to design, plan and implement major changes to the core components of the organisation’s LAN network to:
- improve scalability
- increase capacity
- ensure redundancy
- provide the latest networking technologies to the core ITS infrastructure
- deliver reliability and longevity for the entire LAN.
To meet VicRoads’ current and expected future requirements, Visionstream designed an upgrade that enhanced the core network with full redundancy of all equipment and links.
The upgrade allows for future expansion with the inclusion of the latest networking technology allowing network growth and further integration as additional freeways and road sections are included in the FMS network.
The ITS LAN Upgrade works included:
- firewall and security appliance upgrade to new hardware
- provision of new core virtual switching system (VSS)
- backbone fibre speed upgrade from 1Gbs to 4Gbs
- relocation and upgrade of the Camberwell DR site to Cook St to provide full redundancy as well as a link upgrade to 10Gbs
- multicast implementation for all CCTV cameras
- full design, Method of Procedure (MOP) creation and implementation of works to minimize impact to existing operations.
VicRoads also needed to improve network traffic use and reduce the load on low bandwidth links within their own wider network. After close consultation with users, Visionstream designed and implemented a solution that multicasts streaming traffic data across all CCTV traffic on VicRoads’ ITS network.
Multicast minimises the need for multiple traffic streams for multiple end users from one source - especially where that source is connected via a low-bandwidth link back into the VicRoads network. There will always be only one stream of traffic from the source to the Omnicast server, irrespective of the number of viewers of the source camera and ensuring data availability with efficient use of bandwidth. This stream can then be multicast to multiple end users using efficient Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS).
The innovative Visionstream solution is one of the few networks using the proven MPLS to multicast. This required a number of redesigns to incorporate network sections managed by VicRoads IT partners to provide the solution across their entire CCTV traffic network.
Experience and expertise where it counts
We partner with you to deliver real measureable value, while ensuring driver and employee safety and minimising impacts on local communities and the environment. The breadth of our services and our ability to scale across Australia and New Zealand means we can provide any organisation a complete turnkey approach, reducing risk and whole-of-life project costs.
Visionstream has designed and completed many of the country’s largest communications networks across a wide range of fixed and wireless technologies.
Our end-to-end project commitment to you is backed by industry leading project performance, robust project management, in-house technical capabilities and 24/7 real-time support. We also work seamlessly with our extensive sub-contractor network and a wide range of technology vendors and carriers to provide the best solution for you.
- Optimising VicRoads’ ITS for greater performance & future expansion.
- New technologies to increase efficient use of available bandwidth.
- Implemented multicast solution through end-user desktop, reducing bandwidth use in Corporate Local Area Network (LAN).
- Enhanced backbone network design to increase resiliency while providing additional capacity on ITS LAN.
- Doubled backbone network capacity without using any additional fibre resources.